Thursday, March 25, 2010

Walking

In Montgomery there is a serious anti-walking culture. This incident is pretty representative of the attitude people have towards walking:

I went out to eat lunch with someone at a place where you order sandwiches to go. We placed our order and were told that the wait would be 15 minutes. I told the person I was with that there was a store down and around the street that I wanted to check out -- a .2 mile distance according to google maps. I started walking down the street and the person I was with headed towards my car, expecting that we would drive to the store. I think that they were genuinely shocked that I was planning on walking the distance, which I insisted we do. I cannot fully comprehend how anyone would believe it's reasonable to drive a .4 mile round trip, especially when it's not hot, cold, raining, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment